Sunday, February 28, 2016

Winter Day Trip: Lake Louise & Banff



I'm lucky enough to live in Canada, where I can simply drive an hour and a bit out of the city and be in the natural haven of the Rocky Mountains. Recently I found myself needing to get away from the stresses of life and when some of my sorority sisters casually mentioned a little road trip? Of course I was in.

To begin the trip we drove out to Lake Louise and decided to go skating. I'd recommend doing this as early as possible as it only seemed to get more and more busy as the day went on. The ice wasn't the best but you just couldn't beat the views. There were also these super fun ice castles to skate around and even explore.






After skating and basically being overwhelmed by the beauty in front of us we went to High Tea at the Lake Louise Fairmont hotel. We went at a very busy time and as we weren't hotel guests had to wait quite some time. I honestly found myself disappointed with the food and service given the high price. 

From High Tea we decided it was time for another adventure and drove to Johnston's Canyon, located in Banff.  We decided to hike up to the lower falls and oh my god. The views were gorgeous naturally, but getting there was quite the struggle. If you're hiking at all, I would recommend shoes with good grip as the trails were pretty much pure ice. Even with hiking boots I was sliding around and trying not to fall, which was an surprisingly funny bonding experience. 





Hiking took a lot out of me so when one of my friends highly recommended getting Beavertails I was intrigued (no everybody, they're not actual tails of beavers omg) and wanted to give them a try. They were incredibly delicious and so sweet. If you're in Banff giving Beavertails a chance is a must. There's so many amazing flavors to choose from. 

I didn't take this photo as honestly I ate my Beavertail so fast. 
So delicious and probably unhealthy but AHHH. Worth it. 


After eating we headed to the Banff Upper Hot Springs. It was super relaxing and the perfect end to the day. I didn't unfortunately get to take any photos because I honestly just wanted to lay back and just chill. By the time we went it was also fairly dark so taking photos would have been quite tough. So below is just one photo from their website (:




By the time we left the hot springs it was time to head home. Overall I had so much fun with friends experiencing all of the natural beauty Lake Louise & Banff has to offer. It's still so amazing (and I realize how lucky I am) that I can just drive an hour and see such magnificent sights. Both Banff and Lake Louise are perfect for a quick winter day trip in the mountains, as well as a quick winter getaway- there's certainly much more to do that we didn't have time for unfortunately. 




7 comments :

  1. Oh my Larissa, it looks absolutely gorgeous! Even with the food being disappointing, it would still have been incredible to explore. All that snow! I'm so insanely jealous considering I've never seen snow. It's amazing that all of that is practically on your doorstep. I'm surprised Canadians travel outside Canada at all. Thank you so, so much for sharing and can't wait to see more of your adventures <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <33 it was absolutely breathtaking! Lol Kelly, please take some of our snow! We have plenty to give aha (: I always take snow for granted like it's the norm but when i think about it, snow is actually pretty rare in the majority of other countries. Thank you so much for you thoughtful comment girl <33

      Delete
  2. Oooh that is so beautiful Larissa! Seriously. I wish Belgium had gorgeous places like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't it just gorgeous!? Lol I didn't want to come home aha(:and omfg Belgium is definitely a place I want to travel too though

      Delete
  3. Omgggg this place is serious magic. What a winter wonderland! I don't get to see snow much here in Australia so this is amazing. I seriously suck at all snow related activities though: skiing, snowboarding, even making a snow man -- so I am sure all I'll do when I manage to get myself here is to take a ridiculous amount of photos and sit back to gorge on Beavertail.

    Also this is the first time I have ever seen a Beavertail and WHERE HAS IT BEEN ALL MY LIFE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know girl! It's truly a winter wonderland. And ahhhh I can't picture a life without snow honestly. Though I really, really, reeeeallly want to travel to Australia. LOL. I can skate! And go sledding. But that is pretty much it.

      Hahaha, I'm sure I would sit back and gorge on all the beavertails with you <33

      Delete
  4. Wow, it's absolutely stunning there Larissa! I love the photos and your accounts of the snow and the places that you've visited! I would never see that sort of thing where I live, so it's definitely welcome.

    ReplyDelete